The holiday season is the busiest time of year for retail, restaurants, delivery services and event centers. With employers are already struggling to staff their businesses, workers who can fill their seasonal employment needs are more crucial than ever.
Benefits of Seasonal Employment
Seasonal employment is exactly like what it sounds like. It is temporary work to help a company through a busy period. While a short-term job may not seem ideal, here are a few reasons why a seasonal position can be a positive opportunity.
- Resume builder or filler. If you have little to no job experience or recently lost a job, a seasonal position is a great way to gain experience, learn new skills or fill a gap on your resume.
- Try a new role or industry. Are you considering moving to a different industry? Seasonal employment is a way to test it out. A seasonal role doesn’t require the same commitment as a full-time or permanent role.
- Get your foot in the door of a company. Many companies hire hundreds or thousands of people to fill temporary roles. If you have been interested in a particular company, apply for a seasonal role. The short-term job could turn into a permanent position if your supervisor is impressed with your skills, work ethic, and attitude.
- Extra income. A seasonal role is a great way to supplement your current income or provide extra spending money without the commitment of a full-time, permanent job. Some employers are even offering sign-on bonuses for seasonal workers!
- Product discounts. Do you enjoy getting discounts on your favorite brands or items? Many companies offer great discounts as a perk to their employees.
So as we approach the busy, holiday season, consider a temporary or short-term employment. Stop by your local service center to find out who’s hiring for seasonal workers, help with creating or updating a resume, or a free workshop!