Please note the following changes to the unemployment process in response to COVID-19.
Until further notice:
- West Michigan Works! has cancelled non-essential services such as workshops, orientations, hiring events and other group activities.
- All unemployment claims can currently be filed online at Michigan.gov/UIA or by calling 1-866-500-0017.
- You are NOT required to report in person at Michigan Works! to register for work.
There are two steps to file for unemployment insurance: 1) apply for unemployment and 2) register to work. Here’s an overview of how to apply for unemployment insurance. If you have specific questions, please contact the Unemployment Insurance Problem Resolution Office at 866-500-0017 or use the UIA phone in our service center and get through quicker.
What you’ll need to apply
- Social security number
- Mailing address (including county)
- Driver’s license or state ID number
- Names and addresses of all employers from the past 18 months
- Dates of employment and wages paid by each employer for each quarter during the past 18 months
- Calendar quarters:
- January 1 – March 31
- April 1 – June 30
- July 1 – September 30
- October 1 – December 31
- Calendar quarters:
- If you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, your alien registration number and expiration date of your work authorization
- Your Personal Identification Number (PIN) from any past employment claims
There are three ways to apply: online, by phone or in-person.
File anytime at home, the library or on one of our computers in a service center. This could take up to 45 minutes to complete. Make sure you have the information listed above before beginning the application process.
Apply by phone
Register by calling 866-500-0017 during business hours.
Visit the UIA office in-person anytime Monday-Friday from 8am-4pm:
Unemployment Insurance Agency Office
3391A Plainfield Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49525
Register for work
After you’ve completed your application, there’s one more step before your unemployment claim is complete. Learn how to register for work here.