MiCareerQuest Announces Date for 2018
Five reasons why employers should participate
It’s a fact: 37.5 million baby boomers will retire in the next decade and only 21 million workers will enter the workforce to replace them. (2015 Skills Gap report, Deloitte)
To address the future shortage of talent, a regional collaboration of employers and ISDs is encouraging youth to choose careers in West Michigan’s high-demand industries through an innovative career exploration event.
The event—MiCareerQuest—will take place on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at DeVos Place in Grand Rapids. Now is the time for interested employers to sign on. Here’s why they should:
- MiCareerQuest is an opportunity for local employers to inform the career decisions of West Michigan middle and high school students. The event will bring 9,000 youth from across West Michigan to engage in conversation with industry professionals and participate in hands-on activities. Eighty-four percent of 2017 student participants learned about employment and education/training opportunities that they didn’t know existed before the event (that’s 7,560 students exposed to new job opportunities!).
- MiCareerQuest gives professionals who work in these high-demand jobs an opportunity to share their enthusiasm for the job, show students how to use the tools of the trade and provide a first-hand experience of career opportunities available to them right here in West Michigan. MiCareerQuest often reinvigorates their passion for the work that they do.
- MiCareerQuest provides an opportunity for West Michigan employers to connect with their peers, promote careers within their industry and build relationships with competitors and suppliers.
- MiCareerQuest builds meaningful collaborations between educators and the business community. Teachers and counselors learn about local employer needs, new technologies and skills relevant for today’s workforce. Educators can then apply this knowledge to their classroom content, building in-depth and practical knowledge of the workplace.
- MiCareerQuest helps companies think outside of the box about unique ways to engage their future workforce. Several participating employers have implemented their exhibit design and activities into their recruitment process to provide a unique experience for job seekers, particularly at career fairs and school events.
MICAREERQUEST 2017 FACTS
- 9,000 students
- 87 schools from across West Michigan
- 793 employees from 70 companies
- 100+ high demand careers highlighted
- 400 Volunteers
To learn more and to view a video from last year’s event, visit micareerquest.org. To get involved, email